Shopping in Greytown - Part II of our Weekend in Martinborough

Wednesday, August 13, 2014
This blog post has been waiting to be written for weeks. Funny how when you decide to dedicate most of the working day to writing, somehow, weirdly,  my blog has suffered. I have finished 2 books though, so that must say something.

When we had our weekend away in Martinborough, as we drove through the little towns smattered along the highway, Greytown was the one that really caught our attention. Beautiful old villas and homes, and a main street with their shop front facades that make you feel as though you're stepping back in time to old fashioned New Zealand - except with coffee. We loved it! So we came back to spend the morning there on our last day.


Years ago, before I had children, I loved to shop in antique stores. It is such a luxury! Old books were my weakness, but I seldom have time for browsing through shops these days, so it's always a treat. And Greytown is simply brimming with shops full of lovely old things.





I loved this blue and white platter, because it is Foley. And Foley is my Great Grandfather's last name. I don't think there is any connection between the china and my particular Foleys (they were printers and farmers), but my grandmother collected a few Foley patterns, and it is nice to carry on the tradition. This one was very badly cracked and stained though, so at $95, I didn't think it was worth buying.


It was rather fun finding these little shops down some side-street alleys.




Greytown is full of buildings like this, that have been restored to their former beauty.




Another lovely, rambling antique store.



This little shop had hand-made delicacies, like syrup and preserves and candy. The Quince syrup was my favourite.


 We loved this store that sold handmade pieces from New Zealand artists and New Zealand nostalgia.


We did buy one picture here that we fell in love with. I'm saving it for our new home before deciding where to hang it, but isn't he adorable?


After our morning of wandering down the main street of Greytown, we drove a little further north, towards Carterton to a French bakery which had been recommended to us.  The Clareville Bakery. Apparently, we were told, they make and sell the best Cronuts.


A good cup of tea was just what was needed after a morning of antique shops, and they weren't kidding about the cronuts. The best, lightest, creamiest cronuts I've ever had, and they were so good, we called in on our way home the next morning to get two more. It's a good thing for my waistline that I don't live close to this bakery.




The last time I was in the Wairarapa was many, many years ago, and it was so much fun to go back as an adult and see this area. If you ever get the chance to visit it's so beautiful with rolling, green hills and farmland dotted between the towns. The area is booming with vineyards and restaurants and boutique shopping. We loved it. I would relish the chance to visit this area again.

1 comment :

Catching the Magic said...

I so loved reading this and can't wait to enjoy the Wairarapa more when we're back in Wellington. Greytown is such a gem of a place.

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design