Tangerine Marmalade

Saturday, July 26, 2014
I always thought Marmalade would be hard to make.
But it isn't. In fact, it's the first jam recipe I've ever attempted without having the recipe spelled out in detail in front of me.

Last weekend, we took a little drive into the country to visit my dear friend Angie and her husband. Angie was one of my bridesmaids when Rob and I got married 17 years ago, and I have to say how awfully nice it is to now be living in the same town.

Angie's mother-in-law helped pile up three bags of beautiful, freshly-picked ripe Tangerines for us to take home, and she told me the recipe right there as we walked back over the fields to the house, and it's truly amazing that I remembered it because I can be a tad obsessive compulsive when it comes to recipes, wanting to make sure that I get it just right.

Picture Source

The Marmalade is a huge success. My husband has been eating it by the spoonful and has declared it the best Marmalade he has ever had - it just has that right balance of sweet and sour.

Here is my recipe:

Tangerine Marmalade

14 Tangerines (approximately), with nice, unblemished skins
4 large Grapefruit
2 Lemons
Sugar

Cut the pithy ends (top and tail) from the Tangerines, Grapefruit and Lemons and discard.
Slice each one into quarters and remove the internal pith at the core and any seeds.
Then cut into small slices, skin and flesh. Try and keep the slices as narrow as possible.
Soak overnight in water or tangerine juice - whatever your preference. I used water, because I was running out of time, but I think the juice would make it extra, extra yummy.



The following day, bring it all to the boil and boil for 45 minutes. You will need to keep an eye on it, because it can catch on the bottom of the pan and burn.
Let it cool slightly and then measure the pulp. I got 9 cups of pulp.



For each cup of pulp add one cup of sugar. I used this special sugar that aids in the setting of jam, but I did have to add regular sugar as well, to make up the 9 cups, although I do admit leaving out about 1/2 cup of sugar - and taste testing as I added sugar. We don't like our jams too sweet.


Bring to the boil, stirring all the time until jam-setting point is reached. Either use a thermometer or the old-fashioned method of a small plate placed in the freezer for 5 minutes. Remove and add a few drops of jam. Swipe your finger through the middle of the jam. If it doesn't run, it's ready.


Pot and seal in sterilised jam jars.








photo credit: andydr via photopin cc

2 comments :

Rambling Tart said...

That sounds delicious, and just how my Hungarian friend makes her marmalade. :-) Can't wait to try it once our citrus trees get bigger. :-)

Anonymous said...

You are so clever Rach, so beautifully written and such lovely pictures..such a nice memory encapsulated in a story! Take a drive to the country any time!
Ang

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design