Day 7 - Most Underrated Book

Sunday, May 5, 2013
This is a hard one to answer.
If you are familiar with this book, you might look at it and frown and wonder why I chose it as a book that I believe is underrated. It's because I think it deserves a second life.

This book was very popular around 20-25 years ago, and I think it was ahead of its time.

This is not my favourite genre. I think you would classify it under science-fiction or spirituality. But Frank Peretti was ahead of his game when he wrote this.


 I don't know if you have noticed, but para-normal books and erotica books are all the rage at the moment. Just on one writer's group that I belong to, I would say that most of the authors write para-normal for young adults, and there are more than I expected who write erotica. I think maybe they are trying to jump on the gravy train of Harry Potter and 50 Shades.

And good on them for wanting to fill their pockets with the mass media hype surrounding these books, and I suppose you could argue for the point that at least it gets people reading, but you won't find me writing anything like that. And I don't mean that to sound superior (although I suppose it does), because I admire anyone who can sit down and churn out anything longer than 40,000 words, and if they can make a living out of it, even better. I suppose it's just a bit of writer-snobbery on my part. I'll be honest and admit it. 

But this book above, is one book in the para-normal department that I will give an exception to. I also really love the Lemony-Snicket books (as do my children), which is written from a brilliant imagination without being too dark - more along the lines of Dr. Seuss crossed with C.S. Lewis.

So, This Present Darkness hit the christian bookworld with a bit of a bang back in the day. I remember it being discussed and it being controversial, because the author takes a story between humans, but he also has the perspective of the angels and the demons, which back then was very different and very out there.

It's a gripping read and a book that once you start you can't put down. The sequel to this, Piercing the Darkness is also one of my favourites.

The story centres on a small university town in the USA, and the troubled editor of the local paper. It's a classic good verses evil story, when the demons try to take over the town. It's life and death.

I believe it's underrated now, because of the popular genre of the day. And it certainly offers an interesting perspective on the spirit world, which christians believe in. I think this book made that very clear to the church at the time, and opened our eyes to the possibilities of what goes on around us. Things we can't see, but know to be real; but sometimes christians prefer not to think about the dark side, and this book definitely explores that. If you like thrillers, you'll love this book.







Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design