Day 3 - My Favourite Series

Tuesday, April 30, 2013
I've been thinking about this all day. Honestly, it has been troubling me because there are so many I'd like to list. Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, The Family of One End Street, This Present Darkness, Love Comes Softly series,  James Herriot.... and so on and so on.

When you think about it, there are lots of really great series out there. But the one that really stands out to me, for the purpose of this challenge is Alexander McCall Smith's series of The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency.




Mma Ramotswe. Of course.

And Grace Makutsi, and Phuti Radaphuti, and J.B. Matekoni. The names just roll off your tongue with those lovely Botswana accents.

The reason I love this series so much is because it introduced me to a new country, a new culture with characters that are endearing and loveable and funny.

If you are not familiar with the books (and I am always surprised at how many are not), Mma Ramotswe is the heroine - the single lady who decides, when her father passes away and leaves her with an inheritance of cattle, to sell them and set up her own detective agency in her African village. Along the way, she makes friends, solves mysteries and introduces the reader to one of the most charming places on earth.

After the first book comes Tears of the Giraffe, Morality for Girls, Blue Shoes and Happiness, The Husband of Zebra Drive (not necessarily in order).

I love the humanity of these stories, and the laughter and the colour.

Alexander McCall Smith himself if inspirational. If you want to learn more about him and his writings, here is an interview:

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design