My Latest Project ... Or ... Moment of Madness

Friday, March 2, 2012
Just because I haven't got a home of my own at the moment. And just because I haven't got enough projects on the go - only some knitting, a quilt, a blog book and hand embroidery. and just because I'm never happy unless I do have several things on the go. And just because I have a little girl who loves dolls and little houses. . . . I bought this today.


After seeing Megan's dollshouse, I have been looking out for one cheap enough, with good bones and the potential to do something really great with. This is actually not a new thing for me. Years and years ago, before I met Rob, I started making my own dollshouse from scratch. I got as far as putting the lights in, and then couldn't find a dealer who had what I was looking for, so I put it away in the attic, and there it has stayed for nearly 20 years! I could get it out, but it still needs a lot of structural work, and I dont want to get bogged down with that. I just want to get to the decorating part please!

Instant kiwi. That's me!

Alice is 3 years old. Maybe soon she will lose interest in dolls and dollshouses and perhaps then I would have to wait until the grandchildren came along before I got back into my dollshouse. And I just didn't want to wait that long. So dive in I must. And here it is.

This morning after I picked Alice up from kindy, I was turning right at a very busy intersection, twiddling my thumbs as I waited for the long stream of traffic to pass, when I spied a secondhand children's toy shop across the road, Zero to Five in Otumoetai; and what do I see in the window? This red and white house. Like a maniac, I dived across the road and screamed into a park. And the price? Perfect. $35. I'd been looking at houses on trademe for $90.

It has three rooms - an attic room and a large downstairs room.

Can't wait to rip out that hideous carpet!

I'm debating whether to divide the bottom room up. If I opened out the back, and put a wall in, I could make 3 rooms from the downstairs section. Or I could just leave it and make it open plan living. Any ideas? Suggestions?


I can't wait to get started!



5 comments :

Roz said...

I like it open plan so you can see right in. Delighted that you have a new project!

Max said...

Small rooms are fustrating trying to fit things in, i,d go for open plan. Looking forwards to seeing what you do with the place x

Heather L. said...

Oh my!!!!! I LOVE that house!!!! Maybe I can find one for Laura some time just like that! Open room is easiest for little hands....what fun you will have with this!

Cate said...

Gorgeous! And funnily enough, I have always wanted to build myself the perfect dollshouse too :-)

Angela said...

Oh, how Megan's dollhouse and the sight of it is burned in all our brains forevermore. I'm not sure I'll ever be able to look at a doll's house again without thinking of her!

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design