Hawaii

Tuesday, October 12, 2010
I used to live in Hawaii. Some of you might not know that little fact about me.
It was a long time ago, but I actually went to university in Hawaii. And the thing about Hawaii is, that it gets into your blood. You don't forget it.

I have not forgotten that beautiful fragrant heat. The tropical rain. The tourists. The beaches. The sunsets. The fresh tropical fruit for breakfast. Every. Day.
I lived on the Big Island - the main island of Hawaii - which is not anywhere near Honolulu, and is not usually over-run with tourists. I saw my first total solar eclipse on July 11, 1991 from the balcony of my Kailua-Kona apartment.

All these years later, the enduring memories of Hawaii are the fragrant air, and the coffee. You have not tasted coffee until you have had Hawaiian coffee. I kid you not. It is the best.

Last week, a colleague of Robin's went to Hawaii and was so very kind to bring back both of those memories for me. Happiness in a bag, so to speak. I once paid a fortune to get some posted to me, which I will never do again, so when anyone goes to Hawaii, this is always my first request.


And the fragrance of the beautiful island comes home to me in the form of this loveliness:


I open the lid, I sniff. Ahhhh - Hawaii. I miss you.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Wow - that must have been an amazing experience going to uni in Hawaii!!

Cate x

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design