My Extremely Amateurish Photos of the Planets

Monday, August 9, 2010
Every night this week, in the freezing cold night air, we've all been running outside just after sunset to spot the planets. Mercury, Venus, Mars and Saturn. Did you know that they are visible this month?

Venus, of course, is easy to spot and it is spectacular. As far as I can make out from internet sources, these are the current alignment that we can see in our southern night sky.
(I really wish I knew how to use my camera properly at night. I suspect I need the proper equipment, which I don't have, but this gives you an idea, anyway). I hope I have got the naming of the planets correct. If anyone knows any different, please let me know!


Here is another shot of Venus and Saturn and Mercury. I love astronomy. This is a time in my life where I wish I had thousands of dollars of spare cash to go out and buy a really grunty telescope! Later in the week, there is supposed to be a new moon sharing the stage with the planets, and the possibility of a meteor shower!


If you are interested in learning more, here is a clip from Youtube that is very easy to follow. Plus, he has a cool accent!

2 comments :

Leanne said...

what an awesome video!
Me too has always wanted the $$ for a telescope. And tonight it is a new moon.

I'll wave to you when looking up.

softearthart said...

Hi, I walk every morning with my neighbor at 5.45 and I just love looking at the stars. cheers Marie

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design