Five on Friday - March 6, 2015

Saturday, March 7, 2015
My week has been an assortment of eclectic things.

I finished this little project for my grand niece, Elsie. I think I must be the slowest (and maybe the youngest at 43, great aunt knitter), as this was supposed to be a gift back in November, then it got bumped to Christmas and now... well, it's a just because gift.



I have not been having much success with knitting lately. I started this hat which I bought off Ravelry last year, but it is too complicated for me, I think I'm going to have to give up on it. Too many stitches over 4 double-pointed needles, linen stitch and lots of wraps and turns, and with everything else going on it's just too much and too unimportant at the moment for me to try to figure it out. Such a cute hat, though!



I was thrilled to find that the Frangipaani plant my husband gave me for my birthday in November 2013 bloomed this week for the first time! This is one of my favourite flowers and reminds me so much of the time I lived in Hawaii, so it brings back happy memories.



The one thing that has totally absorbed me this week is researching my family history.
As a story-teller, I love diving into the rich histories and finding out little nuggets of information. I've been all over the place this week from 17th century Scotland to England to Stewart Island in New Zealand. I discovered my ancestors from the Orkney Islands, Wick, Caithness, Kirkcaldy, Scotland. Sheffield, England and my Maori heritage of New Zealand. I'm wondering if my ancestors were victims of the Highland Clearances of the early 1800's which is why they came to New Zealand. I am yet to find that out, but here is an ancient church where my Great great great Grandparents were married  in 1852 before emigrating. The Kirk of St. Nicholas in Aberdeen.




And finally, we are still getting very hot days here, so we have been spending alot of time up at the pool and I've been getting in and enjoying it too, with the children. My 6 year old and I took a selfie after one of our swims.



Joining in with Amy here.


3 comments :

Amy at love made my home said...

Your Bunny is so cute!!!! I love it!! That frangipani flower is stunning isn't it, you must be so excited that it is blooming. They are so pretty aren't they! Thank you so much for joining in. I hope that you are having a great weekend! xx

Julie said...

Cute rabbit, I don't suppose your little Elsie lives in Greymouth, if so we might sort of be related. Family history is so interesting, I love hearing about mine, luckily other family members have done a lot of work and I reap the benefits.

southseaislandhome said...

Hi Julie, no she doesn't live in Greymouth, but isn't Elsie just the sweetest name! I love that some of these old names are coming back into fashion.

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design