30 Day Reading Challenge

Sunday, April 28, 2013
So there's been this challenge doing the rounds on Facebook, and because I am a book fiend, I thought it would be fun to do on my blog. The trouble with this is, that I will have to discipline myself to stop talking about the book that I'm blogging on.


To make all things neat and tidy,  I thought about starting on May 1, but I don't want to wait, and really, there's no time like the present, so here we go.

Day 1 - The Best Book I've Read This Year

Well, the year is still quite young, but thanks to audible and kindle, I have actually managed to read quite a few books already this year, and while it is almost impossible for me to choose just one book that I think is the best, I will try to do it.

Cross that out. The best book I've read is the one I blogged about in the previous post, so to keep it fresh I'll list my second favourite book I've read this year. 




This is a post-apocalyptic novel. (sorry for the blurry image). Another one that I had sitting in my audible wishlist for quite some time. The reason I have chosen this book, is because I was completely drawn up into this small town of America and into the lives of the people in the story. You will be amazed when you learn that this book was actually written in the 1950/60s. 

In my opinion it should be a classic. It's beautifully and brilliantly written and really gets you thinking about your own survival skills in a cataclysmic event.

It takes a small commmunity and follows the events in the lives of the people when the USA is struck by a series of nuclear bombs, wiping out city after city. This little town is one of the few to survive.
The writer does actually deal with some pretty hard topics; murder, drugs, illness, theft, fight of the fittest. One of the things that really struck me is our dependance on communication. This small town is completely cut off from the outside world. They have no clue what is going on outside their little village, because the power is cut and the radio batteries are fast running out.

I loved how the town librarian, who was a nobody in a dead-end job before the bombs, suddenly becomes one of the most important people - as old books are looked up for solutions to the problems that arise, like how to cure meat and purify water, and all the children start returning to the library for their source of entertainment.

It did get me thinking about how I would cope without the internet and without coffee!
A really great and entertaining read. One of the little-known classics.



2 comments :

MandaBurms FarmStay for Cats. said...

Day one challenge completed.

Just off to put Las, Babylon on my wish list.

Ta

Love Leanne

Terra said...

I came over to say hi from Mandaburns blog and gosh, this book would suit me. I am a librarian so you can imagine why.
Hello from me in California.

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design