The Caretaker's Garden

Saturday, January 5, 2013
A few years ago I blogged about the little cottage on our family's beach property.
The cottage once was lived in by Rob's grandfather and grandmother. It's called Narnie's bach, and is very basic - just two bedrooms, a small living room, and a kitchen the size of a cupboard and a bathroom. It's over 80 years old already.


But it's very quaint and I just love it for it's cuteness. If it were mine I'd be painting it white with green trim around the windows, and painting the interior white with little red gingham curtains, or something from Cath Kidston, or lovely, light, dreamy, creamy linen!!! For most of the year, the family have a caretaker living in the cottage as security for the beach property, but over January and February the caretaker vacates it so family can use it as extra accomodation.

We wandered up there to visit some cousins and to look at the garden. The caretaker's wife is the most amazing gardener, and going by what I found in the garden, I'd say they would almost be self-sufficient.

Chickens - but I'm told only one is laying which tells me that the caretaker's wife must be a bit of a softy, and hanging onto her aging chooks.


I loved all the little paths through the garden that are lined with shells. I think it's a funny coincidence that I'd just been reading one of my favourite Anne books where her gardens were lined with shells too.




So many pretty flowers scattered through the garden....










And as if the view isn't enough to look at....


... the caretaker's wife also has some pretty fun artworks around the cottage and garden. Meredith in particular, loved them, and asked me to take some photos for inspiration.





"Does the song of the sea end at the shore or in the hearts of those who listen"

  

This is an old figtree that Robin's grandfather planted.


And a massive Misletoe tree with red berries, but they were too high for my camera to catch ...



Children playing in the garden ... and helping themselves to raspberries ...





The steps that come down the hill to the caretaker's house ...


Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design