Sea Fever

Thursday, October 25, 2012
We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came.  John F. Kennedy



"'People can't die along the coast,' said Mr Peggotty, 'except when the tide's pretty nigh out. They can't be born, unless it's pretty nigh in — not properly born, till flood. He's a going out with the tide.'"
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens


We spent the long weekend by the sea. I love the sea. Do you? 

  

Sea Fever by John Masefield

I must down to the seas again,
to the lonely sea and the sky
and all I ask is a tall ship,
and a star to steer her by;
 


And the wheel’s kick and the wind’s song
and the white sails shaking,
And the grey mist in the sea’s face,
and a grey dawn breaking. 


I must go down to the seas again,
for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call
that may not be denied;


And all I ask is a windy day
with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume,
and the seagulls crying. 



I must go down to the seas again,
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull’s way and the whale's way
where the wind’s like a whetted knife 


And all I ask is a merry yarn
From a laughing fellow rover,
and quiet sleep and a sweet dream
when ere the long trip’s over 


It rejuvenates my soul to be by the sea. We had a lovely weekend with family and friends and ourselves.



1 comment :

betty-NZ said...

I didn't know what I was missing until I moved to NZ and was able to see the sea anytime I wanted. I love it. I have hundreds of photos that probably all look alike, but that's ok because I enjoyed taking each and every one!

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design