We Love Our Queen

Saturday, June 16, 2012
Well, I think it's about time I wrote about our little celebration for Queen Elizabeth.

We are royalists - and proud of it. And so proud to claim her as ours.

I didn't want the jubilee celebrations to pass us by without marking it in some way. After all, I have four little people to train up to be loyal monarchists. Whatever all those liberalists say about becoming a republic and the redundancy of having a monarch, I just think they're very boring and unromantic. A little bit of pageantry and kings and queens and princesses and royal weddings and suchlike is a whole lot of fun. Fun! So away with the fun police, and let's celebrate our Queen.

 

In spite of our life being absolutely crazy at the moment, and in spite of the fact that we didn't celebrate on the actual day, and in spite of having the 'flu tossed into the mix as well, we made cupcakes,


 Cookies,


 And hung bunting,


And used a large British flag as a tablecloth.




And the cupcakes and cookies didn't last long.


I have only ever had one Queen since I was born, unlike my grandparents who lived through at least three monarchs. I wonder how many monarchs I will have had when I am 90 years old. I expect Prince William will be King then, though he is only 10 years younger than me.

I love this version of the British National Anthem, sung at the wedding of Lady Diana to Prince Charles back in 1981. I was 9 years old! Doesn't Queen Elizabeth look young! I wonder what she thinks of when the whole nation are singing to her?

4 comments :

Leanne said...

Awww I would of wanted to of benn at your place (bar the flu, hope all better now)
What a wonderful time you all had!
Love the crowns cookies.
Love Leanne

Jackie said...

Well done!
Wish you could have joined us at our (non-) street party LOL

Heather L. said...

Hurray for the Queen!!! Our big tea is this Tuesday. Just found a vintage outfit at the thrift store!!! Can't wait to post about it.

Let's see, I think the original post office in Zionsville was located in that parking lot (no buildings now). The post office in recent years (20 or so) is in the "new part" of town about 1 1/2 miles away. The "new" part of town is not appealing or pretty, sadly.

Roz said...

I love the crown cookies Rachel. Glad you managed some family celebrations despite all else going on in your family.

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design