I Made A Fence - using kitchen ties

Tuesday, October 5, 2010
I love the school holidays for a chance to get things done around here.
For awhile I've been trying not to nag my husband to put up a windbreak fence across my orchard. But it's just one of those jobs that is fairly well down on the list of 'things to do on the lifestyle block' in the precious amount of time he gets at the weekend.
So with all this freetime on my hands this week, after telling the children we were going to have a quiet home week, I thought to myself that there's no reason why I can't do the fence myself. Right?
It's that #8 wire mentality we kiwis are supposed to born with (a cliche which I personally cringe at everytime I hear it).

So I've changed it from #8 wire - to kitchen ties mentality.

I built a windbreak fence across the western end of my orchard yesterday using kitchen ties. Yes I did!

Hammering metal rod stakes into clay soil  (nearly taking off my thumb at one point) is no easy task, and then draping the very ugly green windbreak across it in an easterly can be challenging, but using my copious supply of kitchen ties to hold it in place was easy. Easy!

And here it is - it's not finished yet, as I ran out of stakes. Another trip to Mitre 10 coming up soon, I think. It will be interesting to see how it holds up in a nor'wester, which is why it is there - but I'm sure my baby fruit trees are grateful. They will live to see another year, I hope.

2 comments :

betty-NZ said...

Impressive!! Very clever and well done!

Anonymous said...

The girl has skills ;-)

Hover to Pin
Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Designed with ♥ by Nudge Media Design